9/13/2010

Seiko 5 Men's SNK809 Automatic Black Strap Black Dial Watch Reviews



This fantastic Seiko timepiece includes all high quality features at an affordable price.
The Seiko 5 Men's Automatic Black Strap Black Dial Watch is a stylish timepiece with the convenience of automatic movement. A uniquely designed, black dial features white Arabic numbers marking the hours on an inner circle and the minutes on an outer circle, while small, bar indexes encircle the dial on an outside minute track. Silver-tone hands with luminous fill make it easy to tell time day or night, and the slim second hand is detailed with a red accent. For added convenience, a day and date display are set at three o'clock, and this modern timepiece offers a peek at its inner workings with an exhibition caseback. The polished stainless steel case extends to meet the black nylon strap, which wraps comfortably around the wrist and fastens with a traditional buckle. Water resistant to 330 feet (100 meters), this high-performance watch is perfect for everyday wear.

Technical Details

- Automatic self-winding watch, never needs battery
- Exhibition case back
- Nylon strap with buckle
- Hardlex crystal
- Water-resistant to 30M

See more technical details

Customer Buzz
5.0 out of 5 stars"Really like this watch!" 2010-09-05
By P David (Salt Lake City, Utah)
I'm not a watch geek, so I'm not even going to begin to address the technical points that other reviewers have covered. I was looking for a watch that was somewhere between casual and dressy and this watch filled the bill. If you are looking for a watch that is stylishly large (a grandfather clock on your wrist), then this is not a watch for you. I like a watch that slides easily under the cuff of a dress shirt and is not so large that it screams "look at me, look at me!". I am not a small person (6'1" and 215 pounds) and I find the size of this watch just about ideal. It is also dressier looking than I expected, and I have worn it with a suit and tie and have felt very comfortable. I have no problem with its accuracy - it seems to be as accurate as my Citizen Eco-Drives. As far as the clear back goes, I don't really care because it's against my wrist, and no one sees it. I am very satisfied with this purchase and will probably buy another one in a different color.

Customer Buzz
1.0 out of 5 stars"is not designed for wearing while swimming" 2010-09-04
By K. Homan
I recently received this Seiko SNK809. The back of the case is inscribed "WATER RESISTANT". The instruction manual (p. 12) states, 'If "WATER RESISTANT" is inscribed on the case back, your watch is designed and manufactured to withstand up to 3 bar, such as accidental contact with splashes of water or rain, but is not designed for wearing while swimming or diving.' The next paragraph states, 'If "WATER RESISTANT 5 BAR" is inscribed on the case back, your watch is designed and manufactured to withstand up to 5 bar and is suitable for wearing while swimming, yachting and taking a shower.' There is no mention of water depth. However, the small tag that is attached by string to the watch band states "Water Resist 30M".

It's questionable whether this watch should even be listed as water resistant to 30 meters. The manufacturer's instructions included in the box clearly state the watch "is not designed for wearing while swimming or diving." I have returned this watch because I require a watch that I can wear while swimming and taking a shower. Amazon needs to remove references of water resistance to 30 or 100 meters.

Customer Buzz
1.0 out of 5 stars"runs slow" 2010-08-18
By emanuel robal (MANASSAS, VA, US)
this watch consistently ran one minute a day slow. i have better things to do than reset a watch every day so i had to return it at my expense (since i did not buy it from amazon directly)

Customer Buzz
5.0 out of 5 stars"Perfect "starter" watch" 2010-07-29
By Susan (NJ)
My 13 year old son wanted a watch and this one has worked out perfectly for him. It is not too large or out of proportion for his smaller wrist as many other adult style watches can be. It has a sporty design and casual strap that he likes. Plus, it has the reliability of a Seiko. We also like that it is self-winding and no batteries are required. We could see him using this watch well into college.

Customer Buzz
5.0 out of 5 stars"My First Automatic" 2010-07-24
By hbthemik (East Bay, CA)
I have to say.. I didn't buy it on Amazon, but I love the watch, and was very hesitant before I finally pulled the trigger. So I'm writing this to help the potential owners of the watch who are in the place where I once was.

The 1st impression of the watch was.. a lot better than it looks in pictures online. Even though it's considered as a cheap watch, it looks a lot more expensive than its price.. It's a solid, handsome looking watch. And I really don't think the manufacturer's picture here does the watch justice.

Its size is at around 37mm. This is def. not a big watch.. and on a small side for nowadays where huge faced watches are the norm.. Well, I have a thin wrist (at 6.5) and prefer the look of a small watch for its understated look. This works perfect for me.

The accuracy of the watch (of mine anyway) seems to be very good. For the past four days, it only ran two seconds faster. That's an exceptional performance for an entry level automatic watch under $100.

I had many models on mind before I made this purchase. While I'm still planing on getting some of the candidates in the future, I'm really glad that I picked this one first for my everyday watch. Chances are.. you will be too.

*I got mine on a metal band since I didn't think I'd like the nylon strap on this one very much. (I see Amazon carries it at an extra cost.) Oh and the lume, in case it matters to you, is a OK.

Read more Seiko 5 Men's SNK809 Automatic Black Strap Black Dial Watch


Best Buys Black Friday Sales